Self-care. There’s that word that keeps popping up everywhere, like 2017’s “hygge“. But like hygge, it’s more than just a buzz word. Self-care is not self-ish or self-indulgent, it is self respect, self preservation and a huge part of self love.
This particular post has been in progress for a wee while now in various guises and themes, but each version consistently pointed to the same key message :
It is vital for our own health & well-being as well as for that of those who depend upon us too. Remember the inflight instructions to ensure you put on your own oxygen mask before helping anyone else? This nugget of advice applies to many areas of our lives, not just when we are heading off on holiday.
While I am perfectly sure that we are all aware of how important it is to look after ourselves, I wonder how many of us actually take heed. There are numerous obstacles to taking the necessary care of ourselves other than the basics. Obstacles such as
- guilt – I suffer from this – and it’s guilt placed on our shoulder from ourselves not from our children/partners/ careers (well, maybe your career, depending upon your boss…),
- other people’s opinions, our own opinions and inner critics,
- lack of time,
- lack of finances,
- prioritising other “things” over self-care in deliberate self sabotage for any of the aforementioned obstacles,
- prioritising the care of others over ourselves, particularly children/partners/ other dependents/ employers,
- the feeling of “I can do it all”/”I’m managing fine” as proof of no need to pander to indulgences,
- not believing we are worthy of what we perceive self-care to be,
- the social media vortex
We need to address these barriers and obstacles, because if we don’t how can we properly look after ourselves and meet all of our needs?. If we are meeting everyone else’s needs while sacrificing our own, what good is that to anyone? None, that’s what!
Over the past few months that I have been concentrating on and researching self-care for me, I noticed reoccurring patterns and themes, which I have categorised into 4 areas, which are separate yet all overlap with one another :
and will blog on each on individually (or else you will be here all day reading!) looking at what they mean and how we can incorporate them into our everyday lives and over come those pesky barriers that stop us from living our best life in optimum condition.
In the mean time, while we are all peace and love and (((hugs))) for our friends and family, how about we extend those feelings and words of wisdom to ourselves. We’re worth it.